Associate Director - Business Office
- - Accounting
- Los Angeles, CA, USA
- Full Time
- Health, Dental, Vision, 401-K, FSA, Life, EAP, PTO
The school is seeking to bring a Business Office Operations Associate Director to join our growing team This is a new position directly reporting to the VP of Business Office and will oversee the Accounts Receivable and Payroll department. This individual will work alongside the VP and its department managers to continuously find ways to improve the department's processes and procedures. The role will also provide process and technical leadership and will generally be responsible for more complex tasks and projects.
- Assist the VP Business Office in managing the Business Office operations functions and establishes and maintains the department's accounting principles, practices, and procedures
- Works closely with the manager and staff to find ways to improve its process, primarily on student recovery and collections to improve the school's collectability and cash inflow.
- Supports the department on escalated student cases and acts as liaison between the department, Financial Aid, Student Advising, and Accounting
- Monitors the depa1tment's deliverables and productivity and implements metrics to better quantify and assess their effectiveness and efficiency, particularly on student outreach, account recovery and collections
- Improves student cash collections and minimizes student account write off
- Continuously explore initiatives to automate the department processes including but not limited to, cash posting to the School's student software (Campus Nexus.)
- Works closely with the Payroll staff to review its bi-weekly payroll process including but not limited to HR entries (new hires, compensation, direct deposit, etc.) in the Payroll system (HCM), timecards, payroll reconciliation and balancing reports, payroll accounting entries
- Develops and always maintains an open line of communication with Human Resources and HCM Support, particularly on time sensitive tasks and deadlines
- Acts as the primary administrator of the School's time and attendance system (Stratus time) including creation of new payroll policies, employee groups, etc.
- Works on monthly, quarterly and year end reports including monthly headcount, PTO reconciliation, W2 review and validation, payroll calendar
- Primary contact for payroll related audits that may arise including but not limited to worker's compensation premium audit.
- Assist in the external audit process, including but not limited to, annual financial audits, regulatory audits, and insurance premium audits.
- Oversees, monitors, and works to improve business office procedures, internal control, and database management.
- Audits workflow, train staff on proper company procedures, and implements more efficient processes across the department.
- Respond to escalated inquiries from various internal and external customers relating to payroll and accounts receivable.
- Stays current on changes in regulation, accounting rules and industry news.
- Assist in special projects, as needed.
- BS in Business, Accounting degree a plus but not required.
- At least 5 years of prior experience in a mid-sized accounting department with hands-on experience on their operations including Billing and Collections and Payroll.
- At least 3-5 years of direct management of staff and possesses strong leadership and management abilities.
- Must be PC proficient/strong computer skills, primarily in Excel to build and maintain larger reporting spreadsheets.
- Strong work ethics; adaptable to changes.
- Possesses exceptional organizational skills; hands-on and is an effective time manager and multi tasker with the ability to pay close attention to details.
- Demonstrates good interpersonal skills along with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Pro-active and a team player with a willingness and determination to work alongside its staff.
- Has a working knowledge of accepted accounting principles and practices, payroll, collection, and for-profit school regulations.
- Reliable and must maintain a high degree of confidentiality and trust.